Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Honest Scrap Award

Rach over at Stitch Sista gave me this award a while back....


This is how it works.... Receiving this award means I have to share ten honest, little known facts about me. Then I nominate 7 bloggers who inspire me.

I've been pondering what facts I could share since I got it, so this post has taken me a while! But here we go....

1. I used to think knitting was a bit lame (!) and I really didn't enjoy wearing knitted garments. I put this down to my mother's use of much acrylic throughout my childhood, and her penchant for knitting without swatching (and sometimes it would seem, measuring). I vividly remember a purple and green number (colours were actually great) that had too long arms and a too short body. And of course if I didn't wear them with happiness then she'd take compelete offence to it and start the guilt trip. At some point she did stop knitting for us though. I don't recall when that was, but I do remember the purple and green number was in high school. Anyway, given the only people I knew who knit were my mother and other "old" people, at the time it wasn't my thing!

2. I failed Home Economics in Year 9 at high school. I think the grade was a "U" - meaning unsatisfactory. The lowest grade you can get. I hated my Home Ec teacher with a passion - and I think the feeling was probably mutual! I got the U grade because I didn't do or pass in any of the homework. I don't really remember why I didn't like Home Ec so much, or even why I disliked the teacher, but I do recall thinking that they were teaching some unbelievably stupid things - it was 1986 at the time. Maybe that's why? I remember a friend saying after one class (that I hadn't attended for some reason) that she would never eat ice cream again because it was made with paint thinner. Yeesh.

3. I met my husband online. That is all.

4. I will one day move permanently to the US. My husband is American, and wants to go home. He's currently looking for a job there. It might be soon, it might not be for a few years. But it will eventually happen. We came close to possibly moving to Kansas around the middle of last year

5. I was a muso in high school. I played the flute (I may have shared this before, can't remember). Anyway, I shouldn't have been a music student, but there came a point where I couldn't give it up. It wasn't the music subject that I enjoyed, but the actual instrument playing and being part of the school band. That was fun. I wasn't really any good at music at all, and I knew that, but when Yr 12 came around my subject choices were limited, since I wasn't into math or science, and if I hadn't continued with music I would have had to do Geography. That didn't appeal at all. Needless to say I haven't touched a musical instrument since I finished high school and beyond listening to music, it has not played a part in my life at all since then. Definitely 5 years well spent.

6. I once took the train from London all the way to Inverness, because I wanted to go as far as possible in the one train trip as I could, and because I had some kind of train pass so I was trying to maximise the distance for my $$. I didn't get to see the Loch Ness Monster. In fact, I didn't even get to see Loch Ness. My trip to Inverness was relatively short, since I had to get back to fly to Rome a day or two later, but it was a lot of fun seeing the English/Scottish countryside from a train. One of my great travel memories.

7. I spent 7 years finishing a 4 year degree. I was studying part time and working full time for most of it, and I took some time off to get married also. And after all that I really don't think that I want to work in that field anymore. But I still can't decide what I really do want to do when I grow up.

8. I didn't think I'd ever have children. They really didn't appeal to me when I was younger lol And in all honesty, after L was born I didn't think I would have any more. I really didn't want to. His pregnancy was not very pleasant and I really did feel that I never wanted to do it again. Now I can't imagine life without them.

9. I don't enjoy taking my kids to the playground. There. I've said it. Maybe that makes me a bad mum, but in all honesty, most playgrounds are not parent-friendly. Or at least, not Kim-friendly.

10. I don't swim in the ocean. I don't like it. I don't like sand, I don't like salt-water, I don't like things in the water with me that I can't see. Having said that though, I have had some great experiences snorkelling in both Hawaii and recently on the Great Barrier Reef. So I will make exceptions to my dislike for the ocean, but only for something really good. Just swimming in the ocean for fun? Not for me.

Ok, I'm supposed to tag 7 people now, but I can't be bothered! lol

So if you're reading this and you feel you'd like to participate in this, then consider yourself nominated by me and go for it!




5 comments:

Rachael said...

Ah some more things we have in common. I also played the flute in school, all the way up to and including year 12. Did the band thing, school assemblies etc, but really wish I'd learned the piano!

And also I can't believe you are moving to the US! I guess I can be as much in touch with you as I already am...but you'll seem so far away lol!

And please not Kansas, all I can think of are tornadoes!

Peta said...

Wow so it's not just me - I hate the park!! My poor kids love it, I feel terrible that I don't take them much.

Lou's Mum said...

Kansas wasn't too appealing to me, I can tell you! Secretly relieved he didn't end up getting the job. But it was a bit close there for a while. And tornadoes was all I could think of too! lol

Glad you said that Peta - I thought it might make me sound like a bad parent! I do enjoy it more when I'm not concerned that one of my children is going to take a flying leap from some high perch and kill themselves though. Maybe when F is old enough to need less supervision I'll get into it more!

Rachael said...

Oh yeah the park...no not fun, not with an 18 mo old. I'm looking forward to taking them in 2 or 3 years with a book ...that I might actually get to read!

Sugar Pop Cafe said...

Very entertaining read Kim, loved it!