Monday, January 11, 2010

The world's gone mad

Well, the consumer world seems to have anyway.

I've seen a lot of talk around the online places I frequent about Easter stuff already being in the shops. I experienced this myself last week on a trip to the supermarket - Easter eggs and Easter-themed chocolate on sale already! Christmas was only two weeks ago! On a trip to Spotlight this weekend I found Easter crafts already available too. Last time I looked there was approximately 79 days until Easter. Are people really on the countdown for that now? Do people really buy their Easter stuff this far in advance? I know if I did it wouldn't make it to Easter! Maybe that's what they are counting on in the race to get more consumer $$?

But it got weirder on the weekend.

I ventured out Saturday 9th January (middle of summer here for anyone that might be in the northern hemisphere and reading this), in the 43 degree heat, wanting to buy Miss F a pair of summer PJs. I could not find any. Actually, that's not entirely true. I found one style of summer PJs in Target, but none in her size. What were they hanging right next to? Fleecy, WINTER PJs and fluffy warm-looking dressing gowns for keeping you cosy on a cold morning or evening before bed! Nearby were two staff members unpacking boxes of stock to hang up. Fluffy, long-sleeve grow suits for babies with cute little hoods with ears! Looking around, I finally noticed that most of the clothing racks now had winter items hanging on them! Correct me if I'm wrong, but we are in the middle of summer right now, are we not?

I know I sometimes buy winter clothing in advance. But that's usually in the-end-of-season sales for the coming winter, not the new-season stuff during summer!

I'm not sure when all this started happening. It seems to me like a new phenomena, but I do have to say that I really can't remember if stuff like this has been happening over the last few years, or if it's just a new thing.

Is this happening everywhere?

3 comments:

Bec said...

This happened last year for me - I was trying to find a coat for Charlotte and the shops were full of singlets & swimmers.
I was wondering if it's got something to do with nothern/southern hemispheres??I don't know but I do know that it's frustrating and annoying!!

Fi said...

Madness.....

Riches Stitches said...

Totally agree. It can be very frustrating when you need to buy something for the current season only to find that there is nothing available. Who needs a jumper on a 46 degree day? Who feels like trying any of that stuff on anyway?